Ushers help create a sense of community in liturgical celebrations by continuing the hospitality of greeters, who first welcome worshippers, and establishing order as they carry out their duties.
Goal and Objectives
This ministry creates a sense of fellowship where parishioners are reminded that Sunday worship is not an individual matter, but rather a call to join together in praising and giving thanks to God.
- Establish a core team for each ministry to assist coordinators with recruitment, training, leadership succession, commission representation, and implementation of the ministry’s objectives.
- Act as persons with grateful hearts, who follow the Biblical mandate, “Out of love, put yourself at the service of others”.
- Foster a friendly, hospitable environment by remaining alert to peoples’ needs.
- As duties permit, participate actively and reverently with the congregation in all prayers, songs, and rituals.
- Promote recruitment among all age groups.
- Recruit, schedule, and train ushers to perform their tasks in a hospitable and orderly manner.
- Assist late comers so as to avoid disturbing the rituals of Mass; take up collections; guide offertory and communion processions; respond to emergencies; prepare for the next liturgy; and distribute materials as people exit the church.
- Recruit head ushers for each Mass and communicate with them on a timely basis to identify problems and work out solutions.
For further information, please contact